The new bronchodilator for COPD (not asthma) was reviewed by The Medical Letter® in the April 30, 2012 issue. I’ll include the news release from Novartis from last year. Indacaterol (Arcapta Neohaler) news release
Once a medication has been on the market for one year, side effects usually show up and clinical effectiveness is more realistic. Indacaterol (Arcapta Neohaler) did well:
- Once daily–yea!
- Dose is much lower in the US than in Europe
- Be careful with low potassium–may have to use potassium supplements
- Other side effects are similar to LABAs (long acting bronchodilators) including, but not limited to tremor, headache, nausea
- Cost is similar to other LABAs and much less than Perforomist™ or Brovana™
- Insurance coverage remains to be seen….new drug, less coverage.