Insurance is now a part of our lives, especially health care providers. Expensive medications such as omalizumab (Xolair™) are rarely approved for use unless patients and physicians complete an extensive application for benefits. Here is a list of medical articles that support the use of Omalizumab in the treatment of asthma:
1. Storms, W, et al. Omalizumab and asthma control in patients with moderate-to-severe allergic asthma: A 6-year pragmatic data review. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings 2012 33:172-177.
- Proven fewer symptoms of asthma
- Less need for rescue medication
- Burst of steroids decreased from 5.1 to 1.1 in the 12 months of the study
- ACT scores improved by 58% in the first year
- Fewer hospitalizations
What other medication do we have available that produces these results without the use of oral steroids? But don’t take it from me, see for yourself.