Don’t think you have asthma….try the following:
1. Reflux can mimic symptoms of asthma with cough & wheeze
2. You might need a Aridol challenge test to be sure.
3. Don’t forget about sinus infection which can mimic coughing.
4. Make sure you’ve performed lung function! (PFTs)
5. Vocal Cord Dysfunction can sneak in as a cause of cough & wheeze.
[worldnow id=9641386 width=400 height=300 type=video]
By Stephanie Stahl
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — One in 12 people have been diagnosed with a breathing disorder and the numbers are growing every year. But experts say many people are being misdiagnosed, and in some cases, the drugs they’re prescribed are doing more harm than good. 3 On Your Side Health Reporter Stephanie Stahl explains.
More than 25 million Americans have been diagnosed with asthma. But experts say not all of those people actually have it.
“Patients are often misdiagnosed with asthma, much more often than anyone typically realized,” said Dr. Sally Wenzel, a Pulmonologist. She says studies have shown 25 to 30 percent of asthma patients are misdiagnosed.
When Deb Bushe came to Dr. Wenzel for help with her asthma she learned she didn’t have it.
“I was very surprised when I was told I didn’t have asthma,” said Deb. For 15 years Deb…
View original post 160 more words